Champignons à la Bourguignonne
By Poppy Etherden (IG @_soyapoppy)
I made this recipe when it was still freezing in the UK, but it’s still perfect to take the chill off
on those cooler summer days.
This champignons à la bourguignonne recipe (French mushroom stew) is so simple to achieve and perfect for a cosy night in for one, and is also a winner if you are entertaining guests.
What you need:
- 250g Mushrooms
- 1 Onion
- 3 Carrots
- 1tbsp Garlic Paste
- 2tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- 1/2 litre boiled water
- 2tbsp Vegetable Oil/Sunflower Oil
- 80ml Vegan Red Wine
- Fresh Rosemary & Thyme (1tbsp)
- 1tsp Miso Paste
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- 2tsp Corn Flour, to thicken
1. Chop onions, carrots and mushrooms into medium sized pieces
2. Heat the oil and add the onion. Cook until soft.
3. Once the onion has softened, add carrots and mushrooms to the pan and stir. Cook
for 4-5 minutes on a medium heat.
4. Chop rosemary and thyme. Add to mixture, with garlic paste. Stir.
5. Dissolve stock cube in freshly boiled water and slowly pour into pan.
6. Add red wine, tomato paste and miso into mixture.
7. Stir, cover and leave to simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes, whilst stirring at
8. Add salt and pepper to taste. Re-cover and continue cooking for a further 20
9. Mix corn flour with a little water and gradually add to thicken the mixture. Stir until
mixture has reached the desired texture.
10. Serve with mashed potato and some greens, and enjoy!
About the chef:
Hi, I’m Poppy! I’ve been vegan since 2015 and recently decided to start sharing my recipes and thoughts through Instagram. Going vegan has benefitted me, both mentally and physically, and I love being part of such a positive community.
The main goal of my posts is to promote health and happiness through plant-based living, and to show that it’s not all rabbit food and tofu!
I love hearing others’ thoughts and suggestions, so feel free to send me a message on Instagram @_soyapoppy.
Much love xoxo