Mexican Black Bean Bowl
Hey guys and welcome to the Tattooed Tomato! This is my first food website, my first food blog and I really hope it's something you enjoy.
I thought I'd start with a really simple recipe that wows every time. It looks the part, it tastes great and is packed full of flavour, nutrients and protein.
Here's what you need:
2 cans of black beans
1 white onion
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
Drizzle of olive oil
4 large tomatoes
1 can of sweetcorn
More coriander/cilantro to serve
1/2 cup tahini
1 bag mixed salad
Franks Red Hot Sauce
1. Put on the rice and set to one side to cook. In a small sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, just until the onions begin to soften.
2. Add the undrained black beans, coriander/cilantro, cumin, paprika and salt. Stir well and reduce heat to medium low. Allow to cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking - you can add any level of heat you like, throw in some chillis or put some chilli paste in there, it's all up to you.
3. Whilst this is cooking, prepare your bowls. Chop the tomatoes and chuck some salad into the bowls - leave to one side.
4. To make the tahini dressing, all you need is 1/2 a cup of raw tahini, squeeze in the juice from half a lemon and mix in two tablespoons worth of water. You may need a little more water or a little more lemon - check the consistency with what you desire. Add a sprinkle of salt and taste as you go along.
5. For the sweetcorn, drain it and then chuck it in a hot pan with a little oil, wait for the corn to brown a little then coat in Franks Hot Sauce until it becomes a sticky-like consistency.
6. Lastly, add the rice to the base of your bowl, pour the beans on top, throw the corn on top of that, sprinkle on a handful of coriander, drizzle lime juice all over the top and pour a generous helping of the tahini dressing over the whole dish. Voila